Tiffany and I became friends five years ago when we were both living in Central Pennsylvania. One of the qualities I first noticed about Tiffany was that she was one of the most determined people I've ever met. During one of our first dinner dates together I told Tiffany that I had competed in a figure competition. Tiffany also wanted to compete in a competition and insisted on going back to my house to see my photos from the competition. That evening I showed her my suit and shoes and shortly after she signed up for a figure competition. Sure enough, a few months later she was standing on stage in her first competition. Once Tiffany sets a goal there is nothing stopping her!
1. For as long as I’ve known you, you’ve had such a positive outlook on working out. How do you maintain such a positive attitude? Working out is my passion. It keeps me challenged every day and I love a challenge.
2. What is your favorite Crossfit move? Definitely burpees....ha ha just kidding. I LOVE wall balls and thrusters. I feel like they are both a total upper and lower body workout, plus they kick my butt
3. Did you play any sports in high school? I did not play any sports in high school. I was a Silk in the marching band...they called us "reject cheerleaders." HA HA!
4. What are your favorite workout shoes? Currently, I love Asics for running, but for crossfit I love my Reeboks.
5. You’ve done Figure Competitions, Crossfit and Running Races. Can you pick a favorite? I love each of them for different reasons. Doing a figure competition allowed me to see what my full potential was. It was definitely the hardest thing I ever had to prepare for. I love to run races because it allows me to set a goal and stick with it. Crossfit has become such a passion for me. I never had the opportunity to be an athlete in school. Crossfit has given me that chance to challenge myself, gain strength, and workout with a great group of people every day. I love that "team" atmosphere. I feel that I have become so strong, determined, and I push myself to the limit.
6. What race is on your to do list? I would love to do the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.
7. You stayed active throughout your pregnancy. Do you think exercise makes pregnancy go a little bit easier? Exercise DEFINITELY makes pregnancy go a little easier. I only walked during my first pregnancy, for fear of anything going wrong. I felt so lethargic all the time, and had very little energy. I gained 49 lbs. Then I started CrossFit and lost all of my baby weight PLUS some. I was so excited about that. When I found out I was pregnant again, I decided to continue CrossFit, and my coach helped me to modify all of the movements. I had so much energy and felt fantastic. I only gained 23 lbs. during my pregnancy, and I lost it very quickly
8. What is your favorite body part to train? I love to train my butt! Hey, that's what everyone looks at when you walk away, right? Ha Ha!
9. What’s on your iPod when you workout? I am a music lover, so I have a wide variety on my ipod. I love rap, hip-hop, pop, country...etc. you name it!
10. What advice would you give to new moms trying to get back into their workout routine? Advice I would give to new moms getting back into their workout routine is don't find an excuse. If you look for an excuse, you will find one. You can find at least a half hour every day to work out. You owe that to yourself and your baby. A happy mommy is better for everyone. I know the days get long, tiring, and it seems as though you can't get anything done, but when you feel good about yourself, it makes such a difference on your attitude, outlook, and overall well being.
11. You just competed in your first CrossFit competition. What made you decide to compete? I just competed in my first CrossFit competition, The Winter Chiller. I decided to compete because I always like to set a goal for myself. Something to work towards, and I have always wanted to compete in one.
12. Did you exceed your expectations at your competition? I definitely exceeded my expectations at the competition. We had trained at our box and completed all of the workouts to see our standings and what times we were completing them in. At the Chiller, I completed more rounds and the WODS in a faster time than I did at training! They also had it set up so that you could view your scores online after each WOD. When my husband said "You made it to the finals!" I couldn't believe it. There were 50 athletic and competitive girls in my division, and to come out 3rd in the finals was crazy! I had an awesome time!
13. What fitness goals do you have for the future? My fitness goals for the future are to keep getting stronger and working on movements, lifts, and gymnastics that I need to improve on. I would love to complete a half marathon as well. I want to continue to commit myself to working out and eating healthy, so that I can always be a positive role model for my children
Greetings! We are already one month into 2015. Here in Pittsburgh it's been cold, although we haven't seen as much snow as the Northeast cities. The weather definitely makes running more challenging. I've been spending a lot more time on the treadmilll and in the gym this year. But when the weather isn't so hazardous I do try to run outside.
For the past two years I've been focusing on the marathon. This year I've decided to focus on the half marathon and hopefully get a personal best. In March I'll be running the Rock and Roll DC Half Marathon and in May I'll be running the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. I'm really looking forward to running these races, as the half marathon is one of my favorite distances to run.
I've also signed up for the 2015 CrossFit Open, which begins later this month. Last year was my first year doing the Open and I really surprised myself. I don't want to miss out on the fun this year so I signed up again. Hopefully I'll see some improvements from last year!
Now that I've talked about some of my goals for 2015, I want to hear about yours! I have a survey on my home page asking you what your goals are for 2015 and one of the most popular answers from my readers is to run a new distance race this year. So what races are you running? I'd love to hear from you!
Yours in Fitness,
Author: Sarah Warman
I like to run, take pictures and write. I've combined all three in this blog.